Thursday, August 4, 2011
Welcome to the 2nd annual MyVampFiction Original Fiction Contest!
Last year, we had 17 amazing entries that twisted their own tale on the legend of vampires. This year, we are sweetening the pot and allowing much broader categories: Fantasy, Paranormal and Dystopian literature!
We know that, when it comes to writing, it’s difficult to be confined to one thing, so we are allowing entries that cover a wider variety of genres and sub-genres.
Here are the details:
- We will be accepting pieces that adhere to a Fantasy, Paranormal or Dystopian theme, or a combination of these genres. All sub-genres and ratings welcome.
- Minimum word count of 5,000 words, with a maximum of 25,000 words.
- If a submitted piece does not follow the word count guidelines, it will be disqualified.
- All pieces must be edited for grammar and punctuation before being submitted. Judges will be very strict when it comes to grammar guidelines, so please make sure you have taken the time to have your piece properly edited.
- Each story must be original. Fan fiction or re-worked fan fiction will not be eligible.
- All characters must be original, however the use of historical figures is permitted.
- Limit two entries per author
- Collaborations are allowed, but the prize will be split between the authors.
The winner will be determined a bit differently this time around as well.
- Judges will read and score each entry and narrow the field to 3 finalists. The finalists will then be posted on the MyVampFiction website for people to read and vote on. (for a full list of judges, CLICK HERE)
- All entries will be anonymous. The pen name AND title of the story will be removed from the piece prior to judging and voting.
- Each piece will be assigned a number based on the date it is received.
- Once the winners are announced, each piece will have their entry number, title and pen name announced, with a link for public viewing.
- This is done to ensure that judging and voting is done in the most fair way possible. Each person works very hard on their entry and we want each one to be given the same weight when it comes to judging and voting.
- Each entry will be converted to a protected PDF to safeguard against theft.
- In the event there are 6 or fewer entries, all entries will be posted for voting, and the winner will be determined by a combination of judges score and reader vote.
- 1st prize: $100
- 2nd prize: $50
- Judges Choice: $25 Amazon Gift Card (this award will be chosen from the field of non-finalists)
How to enter:
- Email your document as an attachment to Susan@myvampfiction.com, with “Original Fiction Contest” in the subject line.
- Include the following information in the body of your email:
- Word Count
- Genre and any appropriate sub-genres
- brief summary.
- Submissions will be open on Thursday, September 1st.
- All entries must be received by 11:59 Central Standard Time (GMT -7) on Friday, September 30th. Any entries received after this cut-off will not be eligible.
- Open for Submissions beginning on Thursday, September 1st.
- Submissions will be closed at 11:59pm (Central; GMT-7) on Friday, September 30th.
- Judging begins on Saturday, October 1st.
- Finalists will be announced on Saturday, October 22nd.
- Voting will begin on Sunday, October 23rd, and last through Sunday, October 30th.
- Winners will be announced on Monday, October 31st.
- In the event of 6 or fewer entries, we will only award a 1st prize winner, and there will be no judges choice winner.
- In the event of 2 or fewer entries, each entrant will receive a $25 Amazon Gift Card and a feature on the MyVampFiction website. In this event, neither piece will be judged or voted on.
- Each piece will be judged based on how well it fits into the theme assigned. If a piece is written into a specific sub-genre (ie: erotica), it will be judged based on how well it adheres to the sub-genre parameters.
- MyVampFiction Co-Owners, Staff & contest Judges are not eligible for this contest.
- Fantasy Genre: uses magic and other supernatural phenomena as a primary element of plot, theme, or setting. Many works within the genre take place in fictional worlds where magic is common. Examples: Lord of the Rings, A Game of Thrones, Goddess of Parthalon
- Paranormal Genre: A type of speculative fiction, focusing on and including elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the genres of traditional fantasy, science fiction, or horror. Examples:The Fever Series,Southern Vampire Mysteries, Dark Hunters
- Dystopian Genre: typically, this genre places “society” as the antagonist. Examples: The Hunger Games Triology,The Uglies Series, The Maze Runner
Any additional questions can be directed to Susan@myvampfiction.com